Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 1 --> 2: Gainesville and such


So where did I leave everything offfffffff. GAINESVILLE! So I woke up in the most fantastic seat on the most fantastic bus watching the Bourne Identity. I thought "meh, not bad for 40 bucks." AND THEN I MADE MY FIRST FRIEND! His name is Luis and he's a chemical engineer from Columbia. The irony didn't escape me but I kept it under wraps. He was really nice and got me the numbers for some cabs I would need once we got dropped off. Needless to say he saved me, the parking lot was massive and nothing was around. The cab ride, was however, better. Scraggly old van rolls up with one headlight broken. The old guy from Back to the Future hops out, punches the headlight (it turns on) and shakes my hand saying "my name is Jodi, like Jodi Foster, welcome to Gainesville." Needless to say, the car ride was adventurous; we listened to Kesha, exchanged phone numbers (that's how it works down here, I swear), and exchanged pleasantries.
Picking up the car was uneventful, and getting to the hotel even more so (which is a good thing!). My hotel room is nice which was a RELIEF. So nice in fact, it had little bands around the first two pillows with "firm" and "soft" written on them. HOW CONSIDERATE IS THAT?! Anyway, there's a bar next door called Beef 'O'Brady's, and that's where I ate upon arrival last night, this afternoon, and it's where I'm headed after I finish this. The fact I'm living on bar food right now doesn't bode well for the waistline (not to mention the 12 Heinekens for $10.97).
I also got my apartment today! woot woot! It's bloody empty though so I went and shopped for a bunch of bright colorful things that I think may look good in there. If they in fact don't look good, well I'll just have to live with it for 2 years. Getting to my apartment was interesting though: as I pulled out of the hotel parking lot, 4 cop cars zoomed by causing a ruckus. Little did I know I'd meet them JUST down the road at my very own apartment village. oh wow..... well to say nothing of first impressions, I skittered over to my apartment trying not to draw attention to myself, all the while asking myself why my first encounter with my home of the next 2 years involved police. Oh well, right?
 



No comments:

Post a Comment